December 7, 1944 – December 16, 2018
Geeta Iyengar studied yoga with her father from an early age. After graduating from high school in 1961, she began substituting for her father when he was away on international teaching tours.Since her father’s retirement in 1984, she was co-director, with her brother Prashant S. Iyengar (b. 1949), of the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute (RIMYI) as well as undertaking her own international teaching tours.
She is the author of following books:
- Iyengar, Geeta. Yoga: A Gem for Women, 2002.
- Iyengar, Geeta. Yoga in Action – Preliminary Course, 2000.
- Iyengar, Geeta. Yoga in Action – Intermediate Course-I, 2013.
- Clennell, Bobby; Iyengar, Geeta. The Women’s Yoga Book: Asana and Pranayama for All Phases of the Menstrual Cycle, 2007.
- Iyengar, Geeta. Iyengar Yoga for Motherhood: Safe Practice for Expectant & New Mothers, 2010.
By sheer strength of will and devotion to her father’s teachings, Geetaji fulfilled her heartfelt wish to celebrate Guruji B.K.S. Iyengar’s 100th birthday. She completely poured herself into 1200+ students, teaching one and all with brilliance, vigor, and sensitivity. Her radiant teaching captivated and soaked the room in the essence of yoga. Themes of honesty and togetherness were threaded throughout the 10-days centenary celebrations with Prashant and Geeta. While there is deep sadness for our loss, we can move forward in unison with gratitude and love. Her profound contribution to the field of yoga and the countless lives she has touched continue onward.